Last Updated May 20 2014. All material copywrite protected.
CHERRIES AS LANDSCAPE PLANTS
Landscape plants define your outdoor living space. They provide the
floor, walls, and ceiling of the outdoor living room. They form the
boundaries, protect from wind and sun, mask the noise of urban life, provide
privacy, screen out less attractive features, add great sensual interest, and,
for fruiting plants...an amazing crop for nutrition and just plain
When selecting landscape plants for your yard, remember that the Romance
Series Cherries and Carmine Jewel have the following attributes:
- Uniform upright growth; 1.5 to 2.2m (6 to 7 ft) tall. Very well behaved in
the shrub bed. Any suckering that does occur is at the base of the tree and
serves to increase plant density.
- Foliage is bright shiny green with no apparent insect or disease damage. On
a bright day, these plants actually sparkle when viewed from a distance.
Small narrow leaves result in a fine texture that fits anywhere.
- Flowers are white and very showy. There are actually songs written
about Cherry Blossom Time.
- Even without the decorative (and delicious) fruit, these plants are in a class of their own
in any shrub border.
- The fruit, although tart, has a very high sugar content. It is
excellent for wine making (without added sugar), fresh eating, pies, sauces,
and other desserts.
- Fruit doesn't fall easily. It will hang on the plant almost
indefinitely...continually increase in sugar content, until it is
somewhat wrinkly with actual sugar crystals on the outside.
- As an ornamental plant, Carmine Jewel, Valentine, Juliet, and Romeo are
- 4 or 5 plants along the backyard fence will make any backyard into a